Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Occupy

In our journeys around New York City so far we wandered down to the financial district. Irma really wanted to be a witness to Occupy Wall St. (which by the way is not on Wall St.- it's in Liberty Square which is about a block away from Wall St.)

We got to the financial district and began walking towards Wall St. looking for them. About 10 seconds later though we found tent city in Liberty Square.

I have not been following ANY of this! I do not watching the news or really pay any attention to any of it. Irma on the other hand works in the financial sector and therefore is fascinated with the history that is being made through these protests.

Liberty Square was certainly a sight to see and now I can say that I witnessed it; a piece of history apparently. I am slowly beginning to understand what they stand for, because Irma has been explaining it to me. I understand that the American economy has major issues and that somehow the rich keep getting richer while the middle and lower classes are falling farther behind.


Legislation is put in place for a reason and if you cannot bother to understand the reason you should not be changing it! Until you have a firm grasp on the WHY it was written up in the first place you have no right to be messing with it. Which from my understanding is why they are in this mess in the first place.

And even if it's not illegal to do what they did it's certainly was not morally correct. I just cannot help but feel like there must be another way to do this. Here in New York the site is peaceful, a little noisy with the drums but peaceful. Whereas in Oakland, CA it has not been as peaceful and it has caused closers to shops which means that people aren't able to keep working which now just compounds the problem!!!

I believe in my heart of hearts that this will all work out for the greatest good in the end; I am just curious as to when that end will show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment