Monday, April 15, 2013

Creating Habits

April 1st was the first day of the 30 to follow in the month of April. My yoga studio, the one I go to, decided to do a 30 day yoga challenge. A friend of mine wanted some assistance in testing for an app that he is developing which is designed to empower you to create habits you want and needed people to test it for 30 days. 30 days seemed to be a thing for the month of April...

I was hesitant and excited, all at the same time to tackle this app testing. I created a list of things that I wanted to do every day or every week. Robert then took my list and made it visual, he put really beautiful pictures to each item and arranged them both vertically, for my phone, and horizontally, for my computer. I have been looking at my board everyday MULTIPLE times a day, as you can imagine. How many times do you look at your phone or computer screen?!

I needed to be able to track my progress and give myself 'stickers' so I downloaded an app called Lift. I added in the habits I wanted to work on and every time I do one I click the big check mark on it and the app tracks my progress!

As you can see I am running a streaks with these three items on my habit creating list! My water has been harder to track so if I think I may have missed the 2L by a glass I do not count it- that being said I am drinking more water daily then before! Yoga I have missed one day. I applaud myself for creating and sticking with my daily habits! I have even added some as the days have gone on and I am doing well with those too!

My weekly habits have not been as successful. My blog has it's weekly check mark, swimming has one check mark for each week vs. two, my walks have none, my bath has one and being creative and expressive in the way I had in mind may not have happened however I have been in ways I had not expressed, which means that one has it's proper check marks!

Has this building habits been a little challenging? Yes. Has it been rewarding? YES! The biggest difference? I feel more grounded and in control of my life. I am committed to completing things everyday, which was not the case before. Does this require a little extra time and effort than I am used to? Yes. Is it worth it? YES!!! I feel more confident in my abilities to commit to something and see it through. As a matter of fact perhaps that is what this month of April in 2013 is really all about for me... follow through of commitments.

I HIGHLY recommend creating your own building habit list and work through them. They can be small- like flossing everyday, I did not do that before- or they can be bigger and more time consuming like yoga everyday. Make them yours and make them achievable and fun for you! Contact me if you'd like the images done and I'll see what I can do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment