Monday, July 8, 2013

Friendship

What is friendship? What does it really mean?

Over the course of my lifetime I have been extremely fortunate to have created some truly remarkable friendships with some amazing people. This past weekend while at a friends cottage I had some time to sit on my own on the dock, early in the morning. The lake was so peaceful and inviting. While sitting there I had the opportunity to look inside a little and gain some clarity about where I'm at.

I am sure I have written about what kind of intimate relationship I would like to create in my life and I have to say that I am realizing that's kind of what I look for in a friendship too. I suppose this is actually a really great realization since my ideal intimate relationship is based on friendship!

Anyway I had an "A-HA" moment of sorts while talking to another friend last night. To me friendship is about being around people who call out your gifts and the best of you. Friends are people who always call out your best- even when you feel at your worst. They stick by you, trust you, empower you, cherish you and will do the best they can to support you. These are, in the most basic terms- and one that I am coming to love more and more, the people who have your back.

There are times when I feel like I am so in my own thing that I am not really there for my friends. There are other time when I feel the same is true for them. The balance becomes, how do I find a way to be there for myself, support and honor what I need, while still being there for them? Sometimes I have to say no to things they ask, even though I want to support them.

How many people do you have in your life that you trust implicitly to have your back? I actually have a lot more than I thought when I began writing this post. Now as I sit here typing I realize just how fortunate I really am with the incredible people I have in my life. You know exactly who you are and I am incredibly grateful for each and every one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment