Sunday, May 30, 2010

Versus

Does not being religious make one a bad person? Even better question, does being religious make you a good person?

I realize that this particular subject matter is 'normally' not spoken about within the cultural norms of North America but I am curious. After a very intensely interesting conversation with some of my family members I began to think about this. I mean my belief of the world and religion is one thing while theirs is something else. And while I see them as being similar in many ways they do not. Now I am very clear about the fact that each person has their own view and belief and I understand that even if myself and Bob next door share the exact same view we would not explain it in the exact same way.

I suppose that there are actually several points I am attempting to make here.

1. Each person will see things through their own experience and therefore no two people will ever think EXACTLY the same.

2. Even if they have very similar views they will not express them in the same way because they are different people. Example some people will classify things as the universe while others will use GOD.

3. The golden rule seems to be, although worded slightly differently through each religion and belief system, relativly close to the same things- 'do onto others as you would have them do onto you'- basically be a good person.

Here I will go on a slight tangent. What makes someone a 'good' person. By who's standards are we considered good or bad? I personally value integrity, honesty, respect, truth, confidence, trust... the list I'm sure can continue for a while. I believe that I am kind towards others and I strive to give generously and to receive graciously. Now this being said it does not mean that do not value my darker side, or qualities or shadow- call it whatever you will. I understand that those are part of who I am as well. I am not going to pretend that those do not exist. I will say this though, I choose when to use them and when to not. I am aware that there are times in my life where it serves me to be selfish; for instance someone has just yelled at me and then another person comes demanding me to get something done. Option 1- I snap at that second person Option 2- I take a time out and refuel before stepping back into the game.

AND not that same subject of good or bad/ right or wrong who are we to judge? Who are we to decided what falls under each of those points? I am not saying that I believe murder is good or right however are there not situations in which murder occurs in pure self defence? If someone was attacking you to a point of if you do not retaliate you will die is protecting yourself wrong? These are just questions worth thinking about.

This then brings me back to my original question. If one is not religious does that make them a bad person. My personal conclusion is no. No it does not in any way make them a bad person. They are who they are and I believe that we are all perfect the way we are. The second question; are you a good person if you are religious. Again my conclusion to this question is no. I do not believe that just by being religious that this makes you a good person. It makes you more aware of what you are told makes you a good person but it does not mean that you are necessarily good.

So whether you are religious or not, spiritual or not, you are at choice as to how to live your life. You are your own person and you are perfect!

Wow this is likely the most intense post I have ever written. Sorry if this is a bit too much it has just been on my mind and since I happen to be female and originally from Venus I like to talk about my problems. Therefore I am talking...

No comments:

Post a Comment