Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pack-up Queen

The month of January 2011, was a whirlwind. I am honestly not sure how I got through all of it. From Calgary to Montreal to Rawdon for retreats back to Montreal for another MMI... to finally... SPA Day!!! In the end of course I had a phenomenal month and would not change it for world... during it though I certainly had my moments.

I came home from Calgary and headed out to Rawdon for a grade 5 retreat. It was fun. Not super challenging but fun none-the-less. I got to return home for the weekend and prepare the house and my room for guests before leaving for Rawdon again on Monday morning. This time the retreat was high school leadership group- my favorite. I have worked with many of the students before at previous retreats and I was so happy to see them again. Some of them actually gave me a hug when they got off the bus.

For three days I got to witness teens grow as leaders and really step into their power. This retreat was like nothing Dynamix had ever done before and it was AWESOME!!! I was so proud of Amanda who developed much of the program and of the students for taking it on! By the end of the retreat I was grinning from ear to ear. I am still grinning. I was just so proud of all of them!!! I also learned ALOT about myself and how I am better at going with the flow and making adjustments than I give myself credit for.

From the retreat back to Montreal I drove- on my own, without a radio. Admittedly I figured out another solution and just put my iPod on! Anyway point being that coming back to Montreal and home would normally be very relaxing... this time was all about picking up people from the airport, making sure the house was ready for all of our guests and making sure everyone ate. It was a busy evening which lead to an even busier weekend which gave way to incredible transformations for over 500 people! Was the chaos worth it for me? Abso-fruckin-lutly!!!


I played to role of Karma Krew Coordinator and Pack-up Queen! After many a debriefs with my wonderful krew I have figured out that I have a lot of work to do. I have myself a list of things that I can do differently for next time- a big one being to be more present to what's actually going on within the team. Being on pack-up there was a lot of stuff that I did not personally witness but heard about... Here's the problem with that- when I go to address a situation I feel unprepared if I have not personally experienced it. I can only really talk about my own experience anyway right? Big learn for me right there. Whoever the Karma Krew Coordinator must be someone who is in the event room the majority of the time.

As far as pack-up learn; I am so proud of myself! I killed the pack-up!!! I began packing on Saturday so as to be as prepared as possible for Sunday night. I enjoyed playing tetrus with the boxes on the pallets! It was also kind of nice to be doing a job on my own. I got to be proactive and responsible for myself and in the end the team because the better I did the faster we all got to leave on Sunday!

The best part of the last month; taking the time to stop and unwind. Monday morning a group of ten of us, that worked the event, headed out to the spa. We went from outdoor hot tubs, to dry saunas, to nap time, to steam sauna and arctic pools. Dedicating this time to myself was easily the best thing I did this month. After going, going, going, all month to finally stop and relax was wonderful.

Next big learn- take time for me! My work, although super fun and rewarding takes a lot of energy and in order to keep doing what I do as well as I do it, I need to learn to recharge my batteries and take some time off in-between.

Thank you so far 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment