Saturday, February 12, 2011

Martyr Mirror

A martyr in the context of what I am referring to, by definition is; "a person who seeks sympathy or attention by feigning or exaggerating pain, deprivation, etc." I have recently discovered that this quality in people that I have been interacting with drives me CRAZY!

It took me some time to process what it was about this person that was bugging me so much. Then it finally hit me. They were not playing a victim per-say, rather they were playing the part of the martyr. They could do no wrong. They were the ones putting in all the effort and exhausting themselves getting everything done just right and no one else was assisting, supporting or able to do as well. Once I figured out what it was that was bugging me I knew instantly what a fabulous reflection they were for me.

I still do it. To this day I have my moments where I feel like I am the only person who can do what I do and that even if people try to help it's never good enough or I could do it better. How is it that after all the work that I have done on myself I still have those thoughts?!

Anyway a BIG learn for me from witnessing the role of the martyr being played is to be very aware of my actions and thoughts, specifically while working events in order to notice and choose differently. I choose to allow others to assist me and I choose to step them up for success by giving them as much support as I can.

Thank you to Kelly for really making the mirror crystal clear for me. I love that you can see what I cannot and most of all you have the balls to call me on it! xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment