Thursday, March 8, 2012

Human Rights

I graduated high school and decided to study communications. I spent the next five years analyzing the media; movies, tv shows, news, advertisements, if you see it or hear it I studied it.

Since I finished school and I began my focused path of personal growth I have been pretty good about only listening to, reading or watching media that makes me feel good. I no longer listen to the news for the most part because I find it makes my body tense and I do not particularly enjoy the feeling.

Two days ago I began to watch as posts about Kony 2012 popped up on my Facebook news feed. I ignored them. I managed to ignore them until late that night when I noticed that even my younger brother- who does not normally share links- posted that you had to watch the video. And so I hit play.

The video moved me. I am committed to Respect, Integrity and Confidence so watching this video and learning- not for the first time but really paying attention to it now- about how kids have been (are being- past, present, future, I don't think it matters when these atrocities occur, if they are or have occurred does respect and justice not deserve to be fought?!) abducted from their homes and forced to become part of an army who's purpose is to hold 'power' over others triggered something in me.

'Power' in this context is really just about ego. How much energy can Kony suck away from others? How much energy did Hitler take from his people? To live in fear- genuine fear that you may die at any moment at the hands of someone else is no way to live!

What would happen to our world if each and every person knew just how beautiful and strong they are? If they knew that they have infinite power within themselves and in nature to nourish them constantly? What would our world look like then if people no longer felt the need to take energy from others in order to fill themselves up?

I believe there would be peace. Bullies like the ones at your school, or work or Kony would no longer exist because they too would know just how wonderful and powerful they are.

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Kill them with kindness?" I am not by any means saying that we should simply love Kony more and that would cause his cold heart to melt and actually begin beating again but I am saying that maybe he needs some love too.

Everyone on this planet deserves to feel loved. Yes there are people who have done terrible things and yes I believe that they need to stop treating others terribly, I just also believe that they need to begin to love themselves.

I am supporting the Kony 2012 campaign because I am committed to Respect, Integrity and Confidence and I believe that every human being deserves to feel loved and to have the opportunity to have fun and love life; not fear it. The children of Africa deserve to be able to go to bed and dream beautiful dreams and not worry that someone may steal them in the middle of the night.

I believe that it would serve the world to have Kony answer to something.

I also believe that EVERYTHING happens for a reason and I am very curious as to what the MUCH larger picture of the affects of this campaign will be.

Perhaps Kony's purpose on this planet was to create such fear and rage in us in order to move us to a new understanding of what love really is? I don't really know, but somehow the thought comforts me because it give me hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment