Sunday, September 2, 2012

Energetic Space

What's the difference between Montreal and Vancouver? The really easy answer is; everything!

Montreal is where I have grown up. Although technically I grew up in the West Island, which many Montrealers do not even consider to be part of Montreal. It's about a 20 minute drive into the downtown core from where I am. I love this city. I really do. I have no desire to live in the city, however if I ever want to go dance or see a show or eat amazing food from all over the world then I can easily do it!

Montrealers are proud to be Montrealers. They brag about the city and all that it provides for us. I don't know that anyone loves the politics that having this amazing city being in Quebec brings about, especially with the provincial election coming up on Tuesday, but whatever the city is special. 

All that being said there is something very different about Vancouver. And it's equally as different than Ottawa and Toronto. I think that Toronto is my least favorite. I have a lot of friends in and around the Toronto/ surrounding areas and it just doesn't do it for me energetically. The feeling is just so dense.

Vancouver is obviously very different. It is a coastal city. It has such a different feeling to it. In Vancouver though I have noticed that people are proud of their area, not so much their city as a whole. People brag more about where they live within the city, either they are in Kitsilano or downtown or North Van or West Point Grey...  And each of these areas has a very different feeling to it. As I drove around Vancouver this summer I paid attention to how I felt while I drove through them.

I think I have decided that if I ever moved to Vancouver I would LOVE to be in either Kitsilano/West Point Grey OR North Vancouver. Those are the two areas that the energy just resonates with me. I am not really sure how else to explain it. There is this sense of complete calmness and easy going-ness about both areas.

I am seriously considering heading out earlier than I normally do for camp next summer and spending a month in Vancouver. Is it weird that Vancouver actually reminds me of the Caribbean? While you are sitting at a beach watching the sailboats in the bay you look up and see mountains and houses on the mountains and a beautiful skyline.

It really is a gorgeous city and the calmness of the city is what makes it even more appealing. People don't ever seem to be in a rush of any kind. I find they meander instead of walk. Sometimes I wonder if it's because they are the last people to really wake up for the day. I mean other than Hawaii everyone on the west coast is behind the rest of the world. Just a theory...

No comments:

Post a Comment