Monday, November 19, 2012

Grounded

This summer I began practicing yoga. I was pretty good about going at least once a week and swimming or going for walks on the other days. July was by far my best physical fitness month- I have a lot of stickers on my calendar from that month... August was a little less, September was pretty similar to August, and then October came around. The month of October I felt like a lump. This lump of a person who was unmotivated to do any form of movement. It was pretty awful actually.

My life felt like it was all over the place, like I had no idea what was going to happen next and like I had no control over what was happening.

The first two weeks of November were work weeks; I was on the road. When I got back I discovered my schedule for the rest of the season and made the commitment to utilize my one month unlimited pass to a yoga studio in Lachine. I began last Wednesday morning and have gone to three class so far.

It is absolutely amazing how different I feel when I practice yoga. I feel grounded, calm, collected, focused and centered. While I am in class my mind is typically yelling at me because, truth be told, it's hard! Even when I get home afterwards my body seems to be mad at me because it's now sore. In the end though my soul is really happy that I went. My body also gets on board because it has more energy and therefore more desire to keep moving. And eventually my mind cheers as well because it is proud that I have keep my commitment.

I have to say that I also love yoga for the inspiration and knowledge that the teacher shares during every class. Whatever wisdom they provide is always exactly what I need to hear at that time and makes me smile- which makes the practice and whatever position I'm in easier to hold. I am very thankful that I have found a form of physical fitness that I really enjoy doing. I was never one to lift weights and run, but yoga, swimming and walking are calming for me and I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment