Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Life in the movies


Have you ever gone through something and then replayed it over and over and over again in your mind, as if you are watching a movie in a theatre? I feel like I have done this my entire life. I will replay a moment or an event over and over again in my mind and change or add details to see what could've happened differently. 


Now as I write this I am reminded of a speaker that I have now seen speak three times. He has a theory called the 15th row critic; and it's basically that we all have a 15th row critic in our minds. Apparently movie critics sit in the 15th row when they go watch a movie and they critique- that is, after all, their job. If we all have these critics how do we learn to deal with them?

My critic replays moments on the screen, it rewinds them, pauses them, brightens them, slows them down or speeds them up. Sometimes it flat out changes the events themselves, adding more to the story line or taking things out, ultimately changing the ending.

This critic morphing my life moments happens more frequently when said moments involve guys. More specifically guys that I happen to like. I create these stories in my mind; the film screen, of what I want or how I want it to happen. And when something else occurs I replay it over and over again trying to change it into being what I really wanted.

As I write this now I feel how insane I must sound! Admittedly when I got back to my room, from a night out recently, and debriefed my evening with my roommate, I said to her, “I could've done more” and she very poignantly asked, “Do you hear yourself?” And in that moment I realized that I was INSANE!

Whatever happened, happened exactly as it was meant to happen and I just have to let go and trust that. I am far from perfect and just because something may or may not happen the way I see it, or the way I would like to recreate it does not mean that it did not happen absolutely perfectly!

I am a work in progress that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment