Thursday, December 13, 2012

Third Wheel

Have you ever felt like the third wheel with a pair of friends? Or maybe family? Sometimes it's not a third wheel, it's more like a fifth wheel- in anyway it's always an odd wheel. I have begun to feel that way with a few relationships that I have. I certainly feel it with my family. They are all so wonderful at continuing to create space for me in their lives but ultimately I am the odd one out. I am the only one without a significant other and so I create that seventh wheel in this case.

The other relationship I really feel it in is with my girlfriends. It's really funny to me because I was the connecting link between them when we first started hanging out together and now... I am most certainly the third wheel. When I am with either of them individually it's all good. But when the two of them get together I really do feel like the outsider. I am not as witty or quick on the draw with snarky comments, I don't have the inside jokes with them and  I work a totally different position than them.

This week, at the beginning was particularly challenging for me. I was struggling with the feeling of being left out of something. And then I stepped back and realized that I have a connection with so many other amazing people that have been around me all week and that this time is an opportunity to really be with them. I began to the appreciate the fact that I am friends with many people and that I can integrate myself into many different situations.

In the end sometimes it's nice to be the odd ball out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment