Monday, November 23, 2009

Credit

I have come to realize that I still don't give my friends at home enough credit. I seem to constantly assume that they don't understand or cannot understand what I am going through or have been through. Therefore I tend to not always talk to them about everything. THEN they go and surprise me by being totally supportive and loving when I do share.

This then makes me wonder what am I so scared of? Why do I continue to hold back who I am with them when clearly they can handle it? Lesson learned; they are my friends for a reason!

While I was in high school I was well liked by others but I didn't have any really close friends, not for the first three years anyway (in Quebec grade 7-9). In grade 10 I seemed to find the people that I really wanted to spend time with. Grade 10 and 11 I created strong bonds with these people, even though I still hung out with many. I still talk to them now- not as often because we all live in different cities around Canada but they are the only ones I have actually made the effort to stay in touch with.

High school was a great learning experience for me as far as friend selection goes. I learned that although I can be friends with everyone I do not have to be super close to anyone unless I choose to. I came to the realization that unless I felt good about being in a relationship with the person I wouldn't do it. I value close friends and I would rather have few close friends than many acquaintances.

The people in my life now are the people that I truely want in my life. These people make me happy. They support me and care about me. These relationships are of mutual understanding and caring. I have chosen them carefully so why wouldn't I trust them? What a great realization!

I trust myself and my relationships!

No comments:

Post a Comment