Friday, October 1, 2010

"If all your friends jumped off a bridge would you do it too?"

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!


So it turns out that I am slightly crazy. I flew back into Vancouver on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning around 11am we made the decision to rent a car and drive up to Whistler and go bungee jumping again. Kelly, Jess, Geny and I got into the car and drove up the 99 to Whistler Bungee.

We arrived just as they were starting and before any of their scheduled jumps, we jumped, we lay on the dock of the lake that is infinitely deep, then went into Whistler had a few drinks and some sweet potato fries- truly a marvelous day!

Jumping this time around I did a 'swan dive', or at least that was the intention. I had already jumped backwards so the natural second jump choice is to jump forwards. The first time John told me to look at the bridge and I didn't do that... This time he said just look out at the canyon, throw your arms out and enjoy the ride. Well it turns out that I am simply not a graceful jumper. My arms stayed out at least- that much I was very impressed with. My legs however... Let's just say that I looked like I was trying to run or swim or fly instead of just allowing myself to fall.

While talking to friends some had the fear of themselves being the one person that the rope does not support. I suppose that's a pretty real and for them a valid fear, it's just not one that I share. I have total confidence that I am going to survive the jump and be totally supported by the rope, I just have issue with falling! I mean what 'normal' person voluntarily throws themselves off a bridge? Don't get me wrong once I stop rebounding I realize just how awesome it all is. While I am falling though my body has a very difficult time understanding what is happening and why it's in mid air plummeting towards rushing water 200ft below.

Big learn for me this time around; jump into the unknown and learn to enjoy the ride. Allow the wind and the rope to support you and just be with the experience. 'Real' life application; take one day a week to have no plans and see where the wind blows me and allow for magic to happen.

1 comment:

  1. Me Too! This is so cool. I get you blog directly to my email. Way cool! I was getting these emails from a Veronica*??? It's you. Now I will read them. I love this post. I have been practicing the art of creating space. It has been a challenge for me. That is to have no plans. However, since i have space to do what I love in addition to what I am already doing. I have danced more (hip hop and belly dance classes), connected with local friends, and enjoying every moment.

    I miss you! Look forward to hearing more of what you are up to. MUAH!

    ReplyDelete